I am so excited this week for you to hear my conversation with Mary Jo Yates, an awesome athlete from Henderson, KY.
Mary Jo has plenty of races under her belt: she’s a two time Ironman finisher, she has run three marathons, and 18 half marathons.
Today we’re talking about knowing why you’re racing, her secrets for staying comfortable on her bike seat, and the community she has found through triathlons.
You can Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher or TuneIn
I don’t want to hate it, I want it to be my fun thing.” – Mary Jo Yates
- What a technical course is
- How training can be a job
- Why she dedicates her racing to her son
- Why you have to know your why
- Why she says a prayer every time she gets on her bike
- Why she wears bike shorts and uses diaper cream
- What was different about her second ironman
There’s something about thinking about other people that really pushes you forward.” – Mary Jo Yates
- Why she wants to earn a medal in every state
- How she started running
- How she met her closest friends while training
- How it felt when her swim got cancelled
- Why you should use the gear that works best for you
- Why running is kind of a break for her
Your body will do anything you tell it to, within reason, if you’ve trained.” – Mary Jo Yates
- Check out the races mentioned in this show:
- Get yourself some Chamois Butt’r
- Connect with Mary: Facebook
I did my first race when I was 35 years old. I mean, why did I wait that long just to try something?” – Mary Jo Yates