With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I’ve been thinking a lot about all of the things I’m grateful for in my life: A husband who [mostly] plays Thelma to my Louise. A Bestie who reminds me that Jesus saves and the best way to end the day is with a laugh and a stiff drink. A Mom who never judges any of my shenanigans no matter how shocking or unpredictable. And for a dog who gets me up every day at 5am to shake my a** and keep me honest.
While reveling in all things gratitude, it hit me that I’m also strangely grateful for the epic mistakes I made and lessons I learned this year, too. (Personally, I think my bull sh*t-to-brilliance ratio is sorely upside down, but you’re not keeping track, right?)
So this year, instead of pulling your leg with a ‘look how amazing my life is’ post, (which would be so full of sh*t I wouldn’t even know where to go with it), I thought it’d be way more impressive to share:
30 Insanely Awkward + Surprising Lessons I Learned This Year
- I’m thankful I fell off of the rowing machine backwards; now I know your a** can’t crack any further.
- I’m thankful I lost several toenails; now I know it’s totally okay just to paint the skin.
- I’m thankful I trained through an injury; now I know what you’ll find at the intersection of tenacious + stupid. (me)
- I’m thankful I joined the Rec Center instead of a ‘hard body’ gym; now I know [within a wrinkle or two] what my body will look like when it/I/we are 70.
- I’m thankful I ran a marathon before taking on a triathlon; it taught me that even the improbable is possible.
- I’m thankful I tried a Zumba class; now I know there’s not an ounce of Shakira, JLo or sexy in me. (Have you heard Fireball yet? Might be my new anthem.)
- I’m thankful I feel fat every time I squeeze into my wet suit – it’s the only thing that keeps me out of the chip aisle.
- I’m thankful there are people who are faster, smarter and stronger than me – it keeps me humble.
- I’m thankful shaving time isn’t easy – it keeps me hungry.
- I’m thankful my soft tissue requested a new bike saddle; now I know I can say the word “vagina” in public to a complete stranger without passing out.
- I’m thankful for the makers of Cortisone, Motrin, Advil and BIOFREEZE. I’m even more thankful none of these make me crap my pants.
- I’m thankful most people don’t know how far a half-Ironman is. I love to see the look on their face when I tell them.
- I’m thankful no one handed over the how-to guide for training for a triathlon; it forced me to live the experience wholly.
- I’m thankful I started with a $2,000 bike; I’d have looked like an a** hole had I rocked a $10,000 2-wheeled coach and finished my first 70.3 in 6:42.
- I’m thankful I’ve learned to swim in open water; even MORE thankful it doesn’t cause yeast infections.
- I’m thankful every last one of my race day photos is ridiculous; now I know I’ll never be able to run for political office w/out my opponent using them as blackmail.
- I’m thankful hypnotherapy cured my fear of riding ‘cause I’d have missed ripping down a hill at 45 mph with my eyes closed screaming, “Weeeeee!”
- I’m thankful I podiumed at my first Olympic Tri; it taught me you can be dead f*ing last and still get a medal for showing up.
- I’m thankful Hubs trained for every event I did this year; its way easier to explain when you’re both too tired to have s*x.
- I’m thankful to the makers of Botox; their product enabled me to grow out my bangs without any “OMG! It’s Betty White!” side effects.
- I’m thankful for my stress fracture; now I know that even in the crappiest of circumstances, I’m not a quitter.
- I’m thankful I paid the extra $$$ to work with a coach; now I know we are all capable of so much MORE doing so much less.
- I’m thankful my friend Steve warned me that people pee [on their bike] on race day; even more thankful I’ve yet to be splashed.
- I’m thankful there are people in my life who don’t give a rip about my goals; it prompted me to create an Inner Circle I adore.
- I’m thankful I tried to be perfect for most of my adult life; it makes me appreciate how free I feel today.
- I’m thankful I accomplished every goal I had this year; it renews my faith in ‘you don’t have to be an elite’ to do epic sh*t.
- I’m thankful a run never lies; now I know where to go to get an honest opinion.
- I’m thankful I ran marathon No. 3 with 13 of my Sole Sisters; now I know an experience is so much richer when you witness other people conquering heroic feats.
- I am thankful for all the people in the world who do dumb sh*t, too; it makes me feel like we’re all in this together.
- I’m thankful I finished my first half-Ironman in a respectable amount of time; even more grateful for the person it forced me to become.
And last but not least… (you know where this is going, right?)
I’m thankful for YOU.
Thank you for being my sister (or brother!) in sole. Thank you for letting me into your inbox with my bull sh*t stories + shenanigans. Thank you for your funny, heart-felt comments and responses both here and on Facebook. And most important, thank YOU for rockin’ your own brand of epic. You inspire me more than you could possibly know.
So how ‘bout you?
In honor of Thanksgiving, what lessons are you damn thankful you learned this year? Come share on FB and we’ll laugh our asses off together. (Between bites of pie, of course.)
P.S. Seriously, if you’re in the States, Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a fabulastic weekend. xo
P.S.S. My team and I have been working hard to put together a mind-blowing 2015 – stand by ’cause you’re getting an invitation to rock next year with me! (Join my FREE Sole Sisterhood today and you’ll be the FIRST to get the deets.)